D.L.G.L., Arrow Professional Services and Habañero Consulting Group top the list of the 2013 Best Small & Medium Employers by Queen’s University's School of Business in Kingston, Ont., and Aon Hewitt.
The average engagement score for the 51 employers on the list was 84 per cent; other participants in the study had an average score of 61 per cent.
"Employee engagement is key for all organizations no matter their size," said Einar Westerlund, director of project development at the Queen's Centre for Business Venturing, part of the Queen's School of Business. "In this study, feedback directly from employees about their workplace and their work experience enables us to measure how engaged they are."
According to Aon Hewitt's definition of employee engagement, employees are engaged when they "say, stay and strive": they speak positively about the organization to others, are committed to remaining with their current employer, and are motivated by their organizations' leaders to contribute to business success.
"Employers must have a strong level of commitment from their workforce to have success. If not, they will see employee turnover and absenteeism begin to increase,” said Neil Crawford, Aon Hewitt's study leader. "This will also lead to less productivity and lower customer satisfaction."
To be eligible to participate in the Best Small & Medium Employers in Canada study, organizations must have been in business in Canada for at least three years and have between 50 and 399 permanent, Canadian-based employees.
Best Small & Medium Employers in Canada for 2013:
2. Arrow Professional Services
3. Habañero Consulting Group
4. DevFacto Technologies
6. iGATE Global Solutions
7. Cybertech Group of Companies
8. Organisme d'autoréglementation du courtage immobilier du Québec
9. ISL Engineering and Land Services
10. Intelex Technologies
11. Vigilant Global
12. Benefits by Design
13. Solvera Solutions
14. College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta
16. CBCI Telecom
17. The Sovereign General Insurance Company
18. IHG Canada
19. Nurse Next Door Home Healthcare Services
20. The Dilawri Group
21. Mennonite Savings and Credit Union
22. Intuit Canada
24. iQmetrix Software Development
25. Macadamian Technologies
26. Klick Health
27. OPTIMUS I SBR
28. Brookfield Residential Properties
29. Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Pension Plan
30. Concept Electric
31. prairieFyre Software
32. CST Consultants
33. National Leasing
34. Forensic Technology WAI
35. Innovation Place
36. Geo. A. Kelson Company
37. NorWest Co-op Community Health
38. 99 Bottles o/a beerbistro
39. TIC Travel Insurance Coordinators
41. Quadra Chemicals
41. Réal Huot
42. Furlani's Food
43. Davis Automotive Group
44. Vista Projects
46. North Shore Credit Union
48. Teshmont Consultants
49. Pinchin Environmental
50. Phonak Canada
© Copyright Canadian HR Reporter, Thomson Reuters Canada Limited. All rights reserved.