Millennials are becoming more engaged in the workplace the longer they are in the workforce.
That’s according to the 2013 Aon Hewitt study, Best Employers in Canada, which examines and identifies trends in workplace engagement.
Millennial engagement in the workplace rose to 69 per cent in 2013, up from 63 per cent in 2007. The vast majority (77 per cent) of millennials reported their job is a good fit for their abilities and experience, and more than 70 per cent said senior leaders make them feel positive about the future of their organization.
"We've consistently read in the media and heard from employers that millennials have unrealistically high expectations of employers and seem willing to change jobs on a whim," said Neil Crawford, Aon Hewitt's leader of the Best Employers in Canada study.
"Maybe not surprisingly, millennials have typically scored low on our engagement survey compared to other generations, but looking back over the last seven years, it's clear that this stereotype is changing."
Full-time millennial workers had an average engagement score of 70 per cent, while part-timers had a score of 69 per cent.
"What these results suggest is that after more experience in the workforce, and living through a global economic crisis and ensuing recession, Millennials' attitudes and expectations towards their employers have become more realistic," said Crawford. "We also see evidence that Canadian employers are figuring out more effective ways to engage Millennials through clear and positive communication, effective recognition practices and sound management."
The average engagement score for employees overall was 78 per cent for Best Employer winners, and the average for other participants was 58 per cent.
The study identified the 50 Best Employers in Canada, along with 15 organizations that have held that designation for 10 or more of the last 15 years. Those companies include:
- PCL Constructors Inc. (Edmonton,AB) - 14 years
- Delta Hotels and Resorts (Toronto, ON) - 14 years
- Chubb Insurance Company of Canada (Toronto,ON) - 14 years
- EllisDon Corp. (Mississauga,ON) - 13 years
- Flight Centre (Vancouver,BC)- 13 years
- Bennett Jones LLP (Calgary,AB) - 13 years
- Edward Jones (Mississauga,ON) - 12 years
- Keg Restaurants Ltd. (Richmond,BC) - 12 years
- McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Ltd. (Toronto, ON) - 12 years
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Canada (Toronto, ON) - 12 years
- Co-operators General Insurance Company (Guelph, ON) - 11 years
- Farm Credit Canada (Regina,SK) - 11 years
- JTI-Macdonald Corp. (Mississauga,ON) - 11 years
- Federal Express Canada (Mississauga,ON) - 10 years
- G&K Services Canada Inc. (Mississauga, ON) - 10 years
© Copyright Canadian HR Reporter, Thomson Reuters Canada Limited. All rights reserved.