New immigrant class revealed

Foreign students and temporary workers can apply for resident status from inside Canada
||Last Updated: 08/27/2008

As of October, a new immigrant class will make it easier for temporary foreign workers and international students who graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution to apply for permanent resident status from within the country.

The Canada Experience Class program, announced by Immigration Minister Diane Finley, is aimed at people who want to immigrate to Canada and already have Canadian work experience or Canadian academic credentials.

“Choosing newcomers based on knowledge of our labour market and experience within Canadian society would make Canada a more attractive destination for skilled individuals from around the world,” said Finley.