U.S. work visas and green cards made simple

By Mark Barie
|Canadian HR Reporter|Last Updated: 03/07/2001

Doing business in the United States means that sooner or later, one or more of your employees will be required to go there for business.

By following a few simple rules, and with only a basic knowledge of Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) law, it is possible to get your people across the border without unnecessary delay or immediate expense.

As a starting point, it’s important to know that all visas are divided into two categories: temporary or permanent. Permanent visas are commonly referred to as “green cards” and they are issued on the basis of a U.S.-based sponsor. The person could be either a close family relative or a company that has an immediate need for the Canadian employee’s services.