3 things HR needs to know

Updates from Consult Carswell
By Brian Kreissl
|Canadian HR Reporter|Last Updated: 04/04/2010

Alberta, B.C. considering pension reforms

Alberta and British Columbia have joined the list of jurisdictions consulting the public about pension reform. They are considering options such as creating a voluntary, defined contribution pension plan, improving flexibility in pension plan design, expanding the existing Canada Pension Plan and possible tax measures related to these options. In its recent budget, the federal government announced its intention to undertake public consultations on how to improve Canada’s retirement system.

Linking immigration to labour market needs

The Department of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism is launching a consultation about immigration and Canada’s labour market needs. Consultations will look at worker shortages in trades and professions and the factors that affect an immigrant’s ability to succeed in Canada’s workforce. Interested parties can take an online survey at http://cic.sondages-surveys.ca/s/cons-P/langen. The government claims factors such as language skills, age and education account for up to 60 per cent of immigrants’ economic success. The other 40 per cent depends on Canada’s economic conditions and factors outside of their control.

Clarification on Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act

As reported in the March 8 edition of “3 Things HR Needs to Know,” private sector employers generally have until 2012 to comply with the Customer Service Standard under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. However, there is one thing for private-sector firms to keep in mind — if they are providing services to the public on behalf of a public sector organization, they must already be in compliance.

Consult Carswell is a Canadian HR work solution that delivers best practices, legal compliance, news, articles and a suite of ready-to-use tools in one easy to use online service. For more information, visit www.consultcarswell.com.

Add Comment

  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *