Province investing $1.7 million in training for frontline workers
Ontario is training bartenders, servers and others in the hospitality sector to identify and intervene in instances of sexual violence and harassment among employees and patrons.
Through a $1.7-million investment over three years, workers will be provided with the tools to intervene safely and support survivors of sexual violence and harassment, said the government Funding will support training for frontline workers in the hospitality, health, education, and community services sectors.
"We know Ontarians want to respond to sexual violence and harassment when they see it. These training projects will empower frontline workers to step in and give them the tools to do so safely and effectively,” said Tracy MacCharles, minister responsible for women’s issues
Earlier this year, Ontario passed the Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan Act (Supporting Survivors and Challenging Sexual Violence and Harassment), meant to make workplaces safer and improve support for survivors throughlegislative amendmentsthat come into effect on Sept. 8.
The training and legislation are part ofIt's Never Okay— Ontario's Action Plan to Stop Sexual Violence and Harassment.
The Ontario Restaurant Hotel and Motel Association is committed to lead an action plan of initiatives aimed to stop sexual violence and harassment in Ontario’s hospitality industry, said Tony Elenis, President and CEO, Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association.
“Harassment is present in every industry and the hospitality industry is not immune to it. We will work with our partners, key stakeholders and industry employers to create awareness and through training provide the necessary tools to ensure a safer workplace, respectful for all."