Winners had average engagement score of 83 per cent
Technology company Imaginet of Winnipeg, employment agency Arrow Group of Companies of Scarborough, Ont., and Achievers (formerly I Love Rewards) of Toronto top the list of 2012’s Best Small & Medium Employers in Canada.The list is based on employee engagement scores and compiled by Queen’s School of Business at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont., with the assistance of Aon Hewitt.
The average engagement score for this year’s winners was 83 per cent.
“Achieving high engagement isn’t easy at the best of times,” said Einar Westerlund, director of project development at the Queen’s Centre for Business Venturing, part of the Queen’s School of Business. “It’s even more challenging in an improving economy when the demand for workers increases and employees have more options. Unless employers have been able to gain a strong level of commitment from their workforce, they will see employee turnover begin to increase.”
To be eligible to participate in the Best Small & Medium Employers in Canada study, organizations must have been in business in Canada for at least three years and have between 50 and 399 permanent , Canadian-based employees. Employers with 400 or more employees may take part in the companion Best Employers in Canada study. A total of 261 organizations participated in the two 2012 studies.
The 50 Best Small & Medium Employers in Canada of 2012 are:
2. Arrow Group of Companies, Scarborough, Ont.
3. Achievers, Toronto
4. Habañero Consulting Group, Vancouver
5. Solvera Solutions, Regina
6. RL SOLUTIONS, Toronto
7. Protegra, Winnipeg
8. Vigilant Global, Montreal
9. Nurse Next Door Home Care Services, Vancouver
10. iQmetrix, Regina
11. Bull, Housser & Tupper, Vancouver
12. O.C. Tanner Recognition Company, Burlington, Ont.
13. Fusion Homes, Guelph, Ont.
14. Northern Lights Canada, Oshawa, Ont.
15. Bioniche Life Sciences, Belleville, Ont.
16. Collective Point of Sale Solutions, Toronto
17. Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Canada, Mississauga, Ont.
18. SaskTel International, Regina
19. Kawartha Credit Union, Peterborough, Ont.
20. Wakefield Canada, Toronto
21. Assumption Life, Moncton, N.B.
22. Sequel Naturals, Port Coquitlam, B.C.
23. National Leasing Winnipeg
24. FINCAD Surrey, B.C.
25. Nintendo of Canada, Vancouver
26. Gibraltar Solutions, Mississauga
27. Intuit Canada, Mississauga
28. IHG, Mississauga
29. DORA Construction, Dartmouth, N.S.
30. The Sovereign General Insurance Company, Calgary
31. Lakeside Process Controls, Mississauga
32. Mennonite Savings and Credit Union, Kitchener, Ont.
33. Innovation Place, Saskatoon
34. Cruickshank, Kingston, Ont.
35. Klick Health, Toronto |36. Cybertech Group of Companies, Edmonton
37. Naylor Group, Oakville, Ont.
38. Desire2Learn, Kitchener
39. Vista Projects, Calgary
40. GEF Seniors Housing, Edmonton
41. BESTECH, Sudbury, Ont.
42. Intelex Technologies, Toronto
43. North Shore Credit Union, North Vancouver, B.C.
44. G Adventures, Toronto
45. Unitron, Kitchener
46. McMillan, Ottawa
47. Peel Senior Link, Mississauga
48. Furlani’s Food, Mississauga
49. Geo. A. Kelson Company, Newmarket, Ont.
50. CUMIS Group, Burlington