Working visas for professional workers going to U.S. extended

Professional employees going to work in U.S. can now apply for 3-year period of admission

Canadian employees working in the United States can now obtain working visas under NAFTA for a longer period of time with the adoption of a new rule by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The rule increases the maximum initial period of admission for TN (Trade NAFTA) visas from one year to three years, effective Oct. 16, 2008. The maximum period of extension TN visa holders can apply for has also been increased from one to three years.

TN visas are working visas that are available to workers from Canada and Mexico who qualify as professionals under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and are entering the U.S. to work in an employment profession defined in NAFTA. Visa applicants must have a specific position waiting for them in the U.S. that requires the applicant’s professional credentials and the employer must be a U.S. employer. Spouses and unmarried children of the applicant can received derivative TN visa status to stay in the U.S. but cannot be employed within its borders.

Latest stories