Frequently asked question

Question: We have been advised that our Company is changing ownership; do we have to issue a Record of Employment (ROE) to our employees?

Answer: Usually you must issue a Record of Employment (ROE) within five calendar days of the interruption of earnings or the date the employer becomes aware of the interruption, this would occur after seven consecutive calendar days with both no work and no insurable earnings.

For a change in Ownership you do not have to issue an ROE as long as the following two conditions are met:

• there has not been an actual break in the employee’s receipt of wages or salary between former and new employers; and
• the former employer’s payroll records are available to the new employer and the new employer agrees to issue a single ROE covering both periods of employment should the need arise.

If these two conditions cannot be met then you must issue a Record of Employment.

Latest stories